Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. -Thomas Jefferson
So is It Really Possible for You to Grow a Profitable Business Online?
Of course it is! And in this fairly long (but GOOD) article I’m gonna tell you why and how…
Just imagine what your life would be like if you woke up everyday and went to “work”… doing something that you loved to do.
Picture yourself doing the tasks that relate to your “job”’.
How does it feel?
Do you feel a sense of accomplishment?
Are you proud of what you’re creating or doing?
Are you creating something that is valuable to others?
Let me tell you a story…
It’s about a woman who many considered very smart. She was a hard worker and as a result, was very successful in her career. She was married and came from a pretty large family.
She’d recently been promoted to a senior managerial position in her company and was working about 12-14 hours a day.
Her home was an architects masterpiece, 7500 sq. ft. sitting on a beautifully manicured lawn with a private lake kissing the backyard.
At night she’d come home late, drop her bags at the door and head straight to her 3 year old’s bedroom and kiss him on the cheek as he slept; quietly whispering “Good night Sweetie” as he slept.
Then she’d drag herself to her own bedroom, crawl into bed next to her husband and pass out from exhaustion.
The next morning she’d get up, get dressed and head out at the crack of dawn… while her husband and child were still fast asleep.
She’d fight rush hour traffic to get to work and sit in meeting after meeting after meeting.
On the weekends she’d spend every moment she could, with her family… even as her hands were glued to her cell phone checking email and voice messages.
Even still, there were so many birthdays, engagement parties, family vacations and more that she missed.
Not because she wasn’t physically present… but because she wasn’t “there” when she was there.
Does this sound like anyone you know?
Unfortunately, this is happening in way too many people’s lives.
There are many people who feel tied to a job that they don’t love… even like… because they have family and financial obligations.
There are many more still who feel like their business is bleeding them dry and sucking the life out of them because they can’t figure out “the magic trick” to consistently making income.
Is this you?
Is it really possible to change all of this?
One of the biggest reasons why people fail in business… and life… is because of what they believe… their mindset.
Shad Helmstetter said it best in his book, “What to Say When You Talk to Yourself”. He said:
1. Programming creates beliefs.2. Beliefs create attitudes.3. Attitudes create feelings.4. Feelings determine actions.5. Actions create results.
So what does this mean and how does it relate to you having a thriving online business and waking up doing what you love everyday?
It has everything to do with it!
In most cases, the reason we are not as successful as we want to be is because of our mindset… it’s because of what we think about ourselves and what we can accomplish.
We simply don’t believe in ourselves.
And it all starts with what has been drilled into us from the time we are children.
What have we always been taught?
Go to school, get good grades and get a good job.
And thus the cycle begins of believing what a “real” job is and from the time we are able to get our first “real” job, we jump headlong into the rat race.
We stay there for 30 and 40 years because over that time we’ve developed ONE skill and we’ve over extended ourselves in debt based on a paycheck that is, in fact, NOT guaranteed to keep coming… no matter how much time we’ve put in at the company.
This madness has got to stop!
And you can stop it.
But first, you gotta believe that you can.
Because only when you believe that you can, will you begin to take action necessary to have what you believe is possible. But how do you do it?
You work on your belief system by working on your programming.
1. Pay close attention to what you are saying to yourself… even when you are not“talking”. What are you thoughts? Are you constantly thinking I can’t do this or that?
If so, when a renegade thought comes up talk to yourself and tell yourself something different.
Here’s an example: When I have the thought “I can’t go talk to this potential client.
What if I don’t say the right thing or what if I don’t know the answers to their questions?” I immediately counter this negative thought by saying out loud: “I am capable and intelligent and I am able to communicate my thoughts and ideas clearly and in a manner such that I am understood. I can handle any question that I am asked with ease.”
2. Change what and who you listen to. Read books on personal development. Listen to self-help audiobooks. Record yourself saying positive things about yourself and listen to it daily (I do this and it works).
3. Improve your skill by taking classes or viewing online tutorials. There is so much information available on the Internet these days that there is virtually nothing you want to learn that isn’t being taught somewhere.
You will have to make a conscious effort to change what you believe. It will take discipline to change what you say to yourself because “I can’t,” “I don’t know how,” “This will never work” and a host of other negative thoughts will sneak their way out of your head and into your life if you’re not careful.
3 Myths That May Be Keeping You from Succeeding Online
MYTH #1. Someone else is already doing it. A common misconception among would-be business owners is that competition is a bad thing. Competition is good. Just think how boring life would be like if you didn’t have all hundreds of restaurants to choose from. Or malls.
I repeat… competition is good. You have your own unique voice. Have you ever heard two people tell the same story before and one of them tells it way better than the other? The same is true in business. You bring your unique flavor to what you do. Now, don’t get me wrong. You should figure out what makes you unique and different from you competition and then once you do, shout it from the mountaintops. But don’t shy away from a market because others are in it.
MYTH #2. I need thousands of dollars to get started. This is a huge myth. One of the advantages to starting an online business is the low startup cost. There are tons of free services available that let you do everything from create a website to edit videos. Common expenses for setting up your online business include a domain name (about $15 a year), website hosting (about $15 a month or less, unless you use a free service), lead capture and follow-up provider (about $19 a month)
MYTH #3. Creating products is too difficult. When creating your products you should do what comes naturally. Here’s what I mean: When it comes to communication, I’m a writer… naturally. So it is easier for me to write.
You may be a natural born talker so creating audio products may be easier for you. Or, you may be more comfortable in front of the camera, which would make videos a snap.
Do whatever comes naturally and it won’t be hard to crank out your products.
There are fulfillment houses that will print your books, CDs and DVDs on demand at very low prices. I use a company called Vervante for this type of service.
When it comes to content for your products you can take a few approaches. Interview someone or have someone interview you. Take something you’ve written and create an audio transcript. Use a screen capture software to create video tutorials. There are numerous possibilities.
And if all else fails, you could always pay someone to ghostwrite for you. If you provide a service, then it gets even easier. Figure out how much you want to charge and go for it. Charge what you are worth or else you’ll end up resenting the project and your clients.
Picture yourself 5 years from now…
Do you see how the way you think can kill your dream?
I can show you the mechanics… the steps that it takes to setup your online business. But I can’t change your mindset. I can’t believe for you. Only you can do that.
And I promise you, resolving the issue of how you think will make the mechanics and steps easy.
As you set up your online business, there are important steps, or phases, that you will need to consider.
So let’s go a bit farther it shall we? Here are 6 steps I believe are critical to launching (or re-launching) any business online:
Step #1: Your What And Who
The what of this step is easy.
What is your passion, idea, hobby or expertise that you want to build your thriving business around?
Now here comes the not-so-easy part…
Who are you going to sell your products and/or services to?
It’s automatic to think, “Other people like me,” but you have to be careful and realistic here.
Maybe you like to paint pictures of pets in cute little costumes (people do love their pets).
The question that you have to answer: Is there a market for people who want what you would like to offer?
There may be another angle that you have to consider for your market.
In this example, maybe it’s not really people who want to buy the paintings, but people who want to learn how to do the paintings themselves.
Or, here’s another idea…
Maybe you would offer paintings of children and pets and appeal to parents and grandparents. What I’m saying is that at first, your niche may not look like a “hot” market. Trust me, I know what it means to deal with a small market.
I have a niche site for church secretaries that I built to a community of thousands of subscribers who have come to know, like and trust me enough to spend their hard earned money on my products. It can be done. But you have to do the research necessary to determine the depth and vitality of your niche. So, how do you know if your target niche is viable?
1. What are people searching for online?
• Use keyword analysis tools like SEO Search Book (seobook.com) to see what people are searching for.
• Go to Alexa.com and see what the hot topics are.
• Go to Google.com, search for your related terms and see what your competition looks like.
2. What are some of the best selling books on Amazon.com and other sites?
3. What are people “getting social” about?
•Twitter and Facebook are the two most popular social media sites. Go to these sites and do a search for terms related to your niche and see what comes back.
Step #2: Your Systems
Everyone knows that if we do something often enough, it becomes a habit. I believe that a system is simply a group of habits used to accomplish a certain task. When you do something a certain way that produces the result you want, record what you did so there is then a “system” that makes it repeatable without thought, for you or whoever you will hire to do it. With an online business you have a few critical systems that a essential for your success.
1. The Basic Necessities: in order to setup your online presence you will need a domain name, web hosting, possibly a shopping cart, a merchant account or way to accept money online (i.e. PayPal). You will also need to setup your Twitter, Facebook and other social media accounts. Of course, you need a website design. With the birth of blogs and website wizards offered by hosting companies, setting up a website is super easy. You can also hire a designer to do it for you.
2. Your Overall Structure: once you answer Step #1, your who and what, then you must take that who and what and decide how you will produce your product or service. Will you be selling printed books or digital books? Audio CDs or downloadable MP3s? DVDs or online access to videos? A home study kit or a membership site with all digital content? Will you be the “expert” or will you be a “reviewer” or “reporter”?
3. Traffic Generation: once your website is up, how will you generate traffic to it?
4. Lead Capture and Follow Up: when someone visits your site, you must, must, must have a way to capture their information. And follow up with them.
5. Sales System: you must have a way for people to buy from you. How will get paid? How will you follow up with your new customers and make even more sales?
6. Customer Service System: how will your customers contact you if they have questions or concerns? How will you process refunds?
Step #3: Your Incentive
Have you ever gone shopping and when you are at the register checking out, the clerk says “Would you like to apply for our store credit card and save 20% off your purchase today, whether you are approved or not?” Well, that’s incentive.
You must do something similar to encourage people to give you their contact information. According to marketing statistics, your prospective clients and customers must see you or your advertising message at least 7 times before they will possibly buy from you. So you must build a relationship with your prospects.
Remember, a minute ago we talked about lead capture? Well, when a person visits your website you must use an irresistible bait to get them to give you their coveted name and email address.
You can also capture physical address if you are sending your bait by snail mail.
That is exactly how you are able to read this Action Guide right now. It was my bait (smile). Once you have your prospects name and email address, you should use it wisely and never abuse your privileges.
You should then begin to provide your prospects, or community of subscribers, with information that is valuable to them.
As you do this, you will build a relationship with them and they will grow to know, like and trust you.
You will become an “authority” in their minds.
Your inventive can be a free report, video, audio, checklist or even a consultation (if you offer a service). Be creative.
Your objective is to build a win-win relationship with your potential clients.
Step #4: Your Products
Contrary to what you may think, you don’t need to have a product of your own ready to sell right off the bat. Initially, you can start by providing great content on your website and building your list. You can also promote “affiliate” products and make commissions from the sales. You can offer your services. For example, I use my site to offer my Digital Marketing services and information products.
As you continue to grow your list, you will be able to offer your first product or service to these highly targeted prospects with whom you’ve built a relationship over time. As an added bonus, having your own products allows you to increase the profitability of your business and create passive income.
Step #5: Your Sales Funnel
Years ago, I purchased my first book from Amazon.com. Today, years later, I am still receiving emails from them with additional product offers, sales and more.
When I purchase domain names for my websites, I use Godaddy.com. As I go through the checkout process, they “offer” me numerous other products to add to my order. Honestly, I get tired of clicking “No Thanks” on those pages.
This is an elaborate example of cross selling and upselling.
Your sales funnel drives your business. It includes the sales letters and pages for your products, your method of payment (again, PayPal is very easy to setup), your download pages if offering digital products and your autoresponders which provide automatic email follow-up with your customers.
Step #6: Your Traffic
Without traffic, you have no business.
Without traffic, you can’t build a list.
Without traffic, you have no income.
So… you must have traffic.
I could spend hours upon hours talking about traffic generation methods, but that is not the focus of this article.
Without traffic to your website you have no list, no income and no business.
If you build it, they will not just come…
I will say this: pick one method first and master that method, then work on adding and mastering others as you grow.
So what are some ways that you can generate traffic to your site?
1. Write articles about your niche and submit them to article directories (EzineArticles.com is a popular article directory)
2. Go to forums and engage in relevant and meaningful discussions.
3. Submit articles to other blogs in your niche as a Guest Blogger
4. Use Pay-Per-Click services like Google, Yahoo, Facebook, etc. (I happen to LOVE doing Facebook advertising)
5. Use Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and other social media networks to share and engage with people
6. Tell your friends to tell their friends to tell their friends… you get the picture
7. Speak at events
8. Hold teleseminars and/or webinars
9. Create YouTube videos. YouTube is a HUGE search engine, so with the right titles and tags for your videos it could be a big traffic generator for you.
10. Send postcards and other forms direct mail
11. Print advertising in magazines and newspapers
12. And last, but not least, I believe the number one way and most consistent way to generate traffic to your website is to create lots of valuable content In my opinion, one of the fastest and easiest ways to create a content rich website is to setup a blog using WordPress. Search engines love blogs and sites that are rich in useful content.
So Have You Decided?
There’s no better time than the present to have the life and business you want and deserve. DREAM Big and take massive action daily. MAKE Life Happen and live your purpose, passion and destiny.
Have you decided to give it a shot?
Remember the picture you had in your mind when you first began reading thisarticle… your picture of what life would be like if you could wake up everyday and go to “work” doing what you love?
Can you see now how possible it really is to have the life you’ve always wanted?
I sure hope so.
I believe you can do it! Seriously, I do. I know what’s possible and I know that it’s not as hard as you think.
I resigned from my full-time job to do just what I’ve told you and I have never looked back. Everyday I wake up happy and full of purpose and you can too.
Now it’s up to you… if you want some help choose one of the options below.